Sunday, November 8, 2009

Living With the Other Side - newspaper version

I thought that by moving away to uni I would leave the immature antics of my 11 year old little brother behind me but how was I to know that it would be right there waiting for me in my new house at West Downs in the form of two new housemates.
Living with guys for the first time has been a culture shock if I’m honest, I’m still getting used to walking into the kitchen for breakfast and instead of being greeted by my mum with some food I get a “’sup darlin’” from my hung over housemate in a dressing gown. I don’t really know what I expected from living with boys, I asked my housemate Katie whether she had any expectations and she said “I thought they would be messier!”

After thinking about it actually it must be weird for them to be living with girls, especially when in my house there are five girls and only two boys. I asked my housemate Mark whether he had any expectations about living with girls and he said “Octopussy, the film Octopussy. Exactly like that, I thought I’d be Roger Moore and you’d all love me.” He also said that the good things about it were “you’re all nice to look at and you smell good...” I think using this evidence it is safe to say that boys really do never grow out of being immature, they only grow bigger egos!


On a more serious note I really do think it’s a great idea to mix boys and girls together in university accommodation, for someone like myself who has never lived with anyone other than my family (which for the majority of Fresher’s is the same) I have found it a fantastic experience. I’ve met new people which I love living with, I’ve learnt about their backgrounds and where they’re from and it’s just given me a new outlook on life. Mark said that “...the diversity makes it more fun” which I also agree with, it’s a great chance to meet new people and experience something completely different.

So what do you think; do you like living with the other side?

No comments:

Post a Comment