Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week 9 Thursday 25th November.

Total War
These are my notes that I took from the lecture;
  • American nationalism is not organic
  • 19th century nationalism and propaganda is designed to justify territorial demands in time of war
  • The nation state is modern
  • The Italian state is weak - therefor they have many layers of police officers
  • Pluralism is the opposite to Totalitarianism
  • State of nature according to Hobbes would be living in fear. His solution would be to alienate our rights to a supreme sovereignty in order to live in peace
  • The French state was more powerful before the revolution
  • Totalitarianism is present in every society, mainly by societies ability to implement war. War is the thing that impels totalitarianism
I have found the last three weeks of lectures and seminars difficult to get my head around if I'm honest - they've suddenly become very technical and my brain can't handle it!

No comments:

Post a Comment